- How do I...?
- About Us
- Staff Directory
- Mission & Vision
- Library Policies & Governance
- Friends of the Berkeley Public Library
- Board of Trustees
- What's New at BPL?
Berkeley Public Library
Members of the community are encouraged to support the mission of the Berkeley Public Library through gifts in the form of materials or financial support. Monetary gifts are welcome and used to enhance programs and services. Gifts of books are gratefully accepted with the understanding that library staff determines which materials are appropriate to add to the collection. Items not added to the collection are recycled or placed in the book sale.
Due to space limitations and the cost of handling donations, the Berkeley Public Library is very selective in accepting such items and appointments are now required prior to bringing items to the library. Please call the library at 708-544-6017 and ask for the Reference Librarian or the Library Director. She will ask for a description of the material you wish to donate.
Items must be in “gift worthy” (good/excellent) condition and free of odor, mold and infestation. We do not accept items that are damaged, dirty, marked, worn, torn or otherwise in poor condition.
The following gifts are welcome:
- Financial support
- Current hardcover non-fiction books (less than 5 years old)
- Current hardcover fiction books (less than 3 years old)
- Local history materials from the Berkeley area
The library cannot accept the following materials:
- Magazines or newspapers
- Condensed books (Reader’s Digest)
How to Donate
All donations must be arranged in advance. Do not drop anything off without calling first.
Drop off hours are Mon.-Fri. 10am-5pm and Sat. 10am-3pm.
- Donations must be delivered in boxes or bags and will not be returned.
- Materials not accepted into the Library collection will be placed in the library book sale or recycled. They will not be returned.
- Receipts are not given for donations.